Many people take care of their routine annual air conditioning maintenance in late spring or early summer – but sometimes life gets in the way during those busy times, and before you know it you’ve made it through most of the cooling season a visit from a heating system pro.
The good news is that late summer and early fall are also fine times to service your central air conditioning system. In fact, there are actually some benefits s to taking care of your cooling maintenance now rather than at the start of the cooling season: for one thing, if you discover the need for a significant A/C repair, there’s plenty of time to order replacement parts – or to make a decision on a cooling system replacement. For another, you can combine cooling and heating system maintenance into a single service visit so you only have to be around for one house call.
Late summer air conditioning task list
So what are some of the A/C maintenance tasks for your Southern Maine and New Hampshire home that you should consider tackling in the weeks to come? Here are five suggestions:
- Replace the air filter – Hopefully you have been changing air filters throughout the season; if you haven’t, it’s a good idea to do it now. Changing air filters frequently is an easy and cost-effective way to help the performance of your air conditioner.
- Clear space around your A/C unit – Clear any airflow-blocking brush, grass, and leaves from the around the area of your outdoor A/C unit before the cold weather arrives.
- Clean the coils and condensate line – End-of-summer maintenance should include a thorough A/C coil cleaning – a job best done by a professional.
- Watch and listen to your A/C – Look for any obvious frayed wires or rust, and listen for any unusual sounds, such as rattling.
- Tune-up your A/C and heating system – Preventative maintenance from a licensed, bonded, and experienced HVAC professional can give you peace of mind that will carry through the whole year.
Now that Labor Day is behind us, it’s time to start thinking about end of summer shutdown tasks for your home air conditioning system. Why not wrap up cooling season 2019 with a service visit from the air conditioning experts at P. Gagnon & Son? Contact us today to schedule your end-of-summer cooling system maintenance visit!